What I know
- "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler".
- "Right tool for the job".
- "Do one thing but do it well".
- "Ask why five times".
- The Pareto principle.
- The Hofstadter's law.
- Communication between business, product, and engineering.
- Sharing knowledge and helping others.
- Seeing problems early on.
- Making things simpler.
- Python: since 1990s, staying current. Django, SQLAlchemy, etc.
- SQL and relational databases: since 1990s, staying curent.
- Java: since 1990s.
- Architectures: monolithic, microservices, distributed, event-based.
- Testing: unit, functional, integration. CI/CD.
- Linux, my daily driver.
- Basic AWS, Docker; React, CSS; Spark; GraphQL.
What I try to bring in
- Clear, constant communication and trust among team members and teams.
- Simple, orthogonal, observable, evolvable systems.
- Best practices, pervasive testing and static checks, FP; thoughtful code review; automation.
What I try to avoid
- People management work.
- Heavy multitasking.
- Releasing on a Friday night, unless many releases a day are routine.
- C++, PHP, MongoDB as centerpieces of my work.
Where I worked
Omni Creator Products (OCP.gg): 2023
- User management systems.
- Kotlin, MongoDB, Redis; gRPC; AWS, Kubernetes.
Coffee Meets Bagel: 2022-2023
- Architected and implemented a few highly visible features. Coordinated product, mobile, and backend engineers for that.
- Backend improvement and speed-up. API design and evolution. Better testing and CI/CD.
- Python, Django, Postgres, Redis. AWS, Kubernetes.
- Frontend, backend, and product work. Implemented a few features.
- Typescript, React, Nest.js; GraphQL; Jest, yarn, etc.
- Engineering work on FB Messenger's data API layer.
- Hack (the language), non-public tools and frameworks.
Click Therapeutics, Inc: 2019-2020
- Architecture: authentication and authorization, local development environment.
- Designing and implementing backend services, pieces of Web frontend.
- Improving engineering processes.
- Conducting and actively improving hiring interviews.
- ES6, React, Node.js, Python, Postgres, Docker. AWS (EC2, Lambda, CloudFormation, etc).
GrubHub, Inc: 2016-2018
- Mostly data integration with third parties.
- Python, Java, SQL, Cassandra, Spark, queues. AWS, SOA.
Handshake Corp: 2015
- Work on the backend of a sales support product.
EPAM Systems: 2011-2015
- Contractor for Google NYC. Various internal tools.
- Worked on PyCharm since inception until release 1.2.
- Java, Python (great many variants). A fully remote team.
- MD in Computer Engineering from Samara State Aerospace University, 1995.
- Various jobs and gigs involving programming all the way back to 1992.